Turbo Bypass

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Thu Aug 20 03:23:22 GMT 1998

ECMnut at aol.com wrote:

> Naw, it had these two washers that hung down into the intake manifold, that
> allowed fuel mix to drop striaght down from caarb until boost pushed the
> washers up.  Called it the "priority valve"..  We've come a long way..

I had one on a CJ5 w/ SBC350 & Turbo350. It had a V2 trim compressor and .96 trim
turbine( .69 & .88? also). The problem was that it was too small for anything over
475 HP which it would easily do at 3500 rpm. It would work well on a 5L. I used a
650 Holley and 3.5" single exhaust w/ turbo muffler to control boost and thru away
all of that compressor choke valve setup. Power from 2000-4000 with 450 ftlbs,
over 5000 and overspeed plus no power because of excess exhaust pressure (read the
maps). Used it for two years & 30K miles. No boost from standing start in low gear
but 12-13 lbs after shift. At any speed over 2000 rpm, it was like the boost gauge
was hooked to the gas pedal, it really worked well.

Suck thru setups are easy to tune, carbs seem to understand airflow, and the fuel
helps cool the intake as it is "mixed" in the compressor. Sizing a turbo is the
only challenge - pick the HP and RPM you want, that dictates the compressor size,
then control it with the turbine. I am late to this discussion group so please
forgive me for missing earlier messages. Turbos are great and will work well with
EFI.

I always wanted to build a twin turbo 502 (900+ HP) in a Chevelle or Monti to
frustrate all of those turbo Buicks. I also build auto transmissions.

Tom   SBC Cobra w/ Edelbrock EFI w/ M68 chip