Heatsink grease

Andrew W. Macfadyen am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Sun Aug 23 18:26:55 GMT 1998

Actually what you are reffering to is a heat sink grease it is really just
provide a heat path where the heatsink dosen't make true contact with the
package as all flat surfaces aren't truly flat. Put too much on and it will
actually reduce the   heat flow.
Thermal bonding compounds also exist which are I think can be either epoxy or
Iso-cyanate based these both  improve the heat transfer and stick the heat sink
down . --- some are very expensive  particularly the one made by Loctite and
this may be the reason they are not in wide spread use. In the UK Maplin are now
carrying a cheaper line of heat sink adhesive.