TBI

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Aug 24 01:23:32 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Powlette <marquise at candw.lc>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Sunday, August 23, 1998 9:06 PM
Subject: TBI

>I have seen qite a bit of talk on Gm vehicles so I am confident a few of
>you guys are familar.  GM TBI V8 5.7 lit I recently did an intake job on
>one of those engines and even prior to and now it has a hard start.

Freguently, fuel pump starting to go.

 The
>ignition timing is set at O deg. tdc as the specs recomends but still.
>I pulled out the IACV(idle air controll valve ) and though the book says
>to wiggle and apply firm pressure to push the pintle the thing is a
>bitch just how much is firm pressure????

It's a stepper motor, better off to buy a stepper motor controller if
you wan to play with it.  ($25ish).   Easy to ruin with too much force.

 when I finally got it down I
>tried to exercise it back out , my fingers got soar after almost 10 min
>of side to side and pull.   Has anyone had that experience.  I connected
>the unit whiles out and grounded it on the throttle body, turned the
>ignition on and the thing does not buldge, just a slight twitch but no
>significant movement whether it was all the way in or out.  Please
>advise.  I know the posting is late but I want to get on it tomorrow so
>if anyone is out there please help.  Sorrry about the subject matter.

Short pins A-B at ALDL and that will extend the IAC.
When you trun the key off will retract.
Must drive over 40 MPH for IAC to reset, after any of this.