uh-oh.. it's a new person with a question

Mike Fahrion mfahrion at bb-elec.com
Tue Aug 25 17:43:50 GMT 1998

According to www.obdii.com, your 4.3L has OBDII, but is not
fully compliant. This means you've got the J1850 VPW bus,
although ALDL may still be supported on other pins (not
dedicated to OBDII) of the connector.

There aren't too many people that claim to have programming
ability of flash systems (as far as I know), and they usually
target the performance market first so you may not find much
help there. The lack of programmers for this system isn't from
lack of trying - I'm sure its not an easy task.

Your first step may be to get familiar with the communications
bus (J1850 VPW) part of the system.

Best Regards,
-mike

>I am very much new to the list as well as new to the world of
ecm's,vcm's,
>and pcm's amongst other aspects of vehicle control systems.  I
am the owner
>of a 95 S10 with the "W" code 4.3L CPI engine that has the
system that looks
>like an ODB2 system but it turns out only to be ODB1 compliant.
It has the
>new style ADL connector and all of the other ODB2 equipment.
The part
>number on the PCM is 16193495 (code BABB) and it seems that no
aftermarket
>company wants to write a custom program for this system.  It
does not use a
>chip, rather, it is a flash style system.  Now that I've told
you all my
>life story, here comes my question(s).  How can person learn
more about the
>ins-and-outs of this system and possibly alter the programming
contained
>within?  My education lies within chemical engineering and the
IT field so