new comer to the mailing list

Bruce Robertson bruce_robertson at MAIL.TAIT.CO.NZ
Tue Aug 25 22:41:05 GMT 1998

Gidday,

I happened to stumble across this mailing list while surfing the net - and it
looks quite interesting.
I live in New Zealand and finished a mechanical engineering degree a
couple of years ago. I am a bit of a car nut, and like to fiddle with
electronics a bit as well (I now work for NZs largest electronics
design/manufacture company). While I was studying I built an EFI system
based upon a Philips 87C552 8 bit microcontroller. I got as far as having
the system working with my lathe as the car engine and  my computers
picoscope (a crude computer parallel port plug in ADC and software) as
the injectors. It looked promising but I never finished it off because I
thought it would be too difficult to build the injector amp circuit, and also
the mc doesnt have flash prom for programming on the go.
Now I am rebuilding a Bond Equipe (you probably never heard of one!)
which has a Triumph 2.5 PI engine in it - that means mechanical fuel
injection. I have been thinking about finishing off the EFI to fit to the car.

Can someone tell me - How many people are on this mailing list - is DIY
EFI a popular thing?
Is there a common platform that you lot use for your projects - I hear a lot
of talk about Motorola microcontrollers. Has anybody used a Philips mc
for an EFI?
What sort of cars are you people into - I guess if the majority of you are
in the states then it will be V8 stuff!

It'll be interesting to hear from you

Regards

Bruce Robertson.