Injector Sizing: REALLY dumb question

Zack zubenubi at inetport.com
Fri Aug 28 00:55:34 GMT 1998

OK, 'nuther dumb newbie question.  How can injector timing have any
effect on torque??  Torque, I thought, is directly related to BMEP,
which would in turn be almost directly related to the amount of air
ingested into the cylinder (assuming for the moment that the injector
duration is adjusted so A/F ratio is constant throughout the RPM
range).
	The only thing I can think of related to injector timing which would
affect the amount of air getting into the cylinder would be, if fuel
is squirted into the manifold before the valve opens, the
vaporization of the fuel there would tend to displace air from that
portion of the manifold and lower the final charge density.
	Looking at it this way I could easily tempt myself into believing
that the best approach would be to delay injection until the last
possible moment (uhh...), or even better, to inject the fuel into the
chamber directly only after the intake valve is closed.
	OTOH, if you're squirting methanol in, for example,
the cooling effect due to the high heat of evaporation easily
dominates the displacing effect of the vapor, so that you are much
better off overall if the vaporization is already complete by the
time the intake valve closes, because the cooling effect of the
mixture caused by the evap of the methanol draws additional air/fuel
mixture in behind it.
	Gasoline lies somewhere between the two ends of this continuum, on
the one end the fuel with no heat of vaporization whatever that
you'd like to inject only after the intake valve closes, and on the
other end the fuel with a very high heat of evap. that you'd like to
inject well before so that the evap & cooling is complete by the time
the charge reaches the cylinder.
	I don't know exactly where gasoline falls on that continuum, so it's
not clear to me how y'all are coming to conclusions about when's the
best time to inject the fuel.

 Hints?  Thoughts?  Data?   All welcome...