pre-fuel filter advice needed

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri Aug 28 10:34:15 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: James Weiler <james at brc.ubc.ca>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Friday, August 28, 1998 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: pre-fuel filter advice needed

>> DON"T use a filter, use a seperator..  Any filter in that location will
>> drastically lower the fuel available.  I use a big Mallory filter
housing,
>> but no element, then a filter on the pressure side of the pump.
>> 2-4 times a year remove, and wipe out all the water/sludge.
>
>Uhmmm I guess I don't understand how this would help.  It sounds like a
>small container.  With the flow of fuel it should just swirl
>up the crap and bring it into the pump.  I think you're going to have to
>explain what a seperator is in more detail.

Think of a huge coffe cup.  Both in and out at the top.  The fuel has
the opportunity to slow, and let gravity settle the heavy stuff out of
solution.  The silt and water fall to the bottom.  If you get real careful,
about empting it, you can be amazed at the amount of rust, and water it
traps.  When I first started using it is when I learned that a
busy gas station was the place to buy fuel.
  IMHO, you only need one if your fuel pump has moving parts
(CSH attempt at early morning humor)
Cheers
Bruce