xs11 EFI

Chaasman at aol.com Chaasman at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 23:08:08 GMT 1998

In a message dated 12/2/98 9:35:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JemisonR at tce.com writes:

>  Hello.  I'm trying to efi a 4 cyl  inline  4 stroke motorcycle (Yamaha
>  XS1100) and after talking with some very knowledgeable folks on this and
the
>  EFI332 lists I've settled to this solution myself.  I'm afraid I don't have
>  any experience with the system yet but intend to implement basically what
>  you're describing here.

<snip>

>  I'm thinking of driving this system with a PIC device along with a driver /
>  drivers to boost the output signal to the level required to fire the
>  injectors.  At this point here are my variables:
>
>  INPUTS:
>  	rpm 		digital	1
>  	crank position	digital	2
>  	TPS		analog	1
>  	O2		analog	1	(at least for experimental
>  development of the maps)
>  	timers		digital	3	(count down timers to time event
>  durations)
>  	keypad		digital	3	(1 key for mode (startup, idle,
>  normal, WOT), 2 keys for increase (+) or decrease (-) )
>
>  OUTPUT:
>  	injector fire signals	digital	2
>

>  These ideas are in their very early stages of development but this is my
>  thinking at this point.  Let me know what you (or others on the list)
think.
>  That's why I'm here.

I'm also EFI ing a motorcycle.  (I wonder how many other people on the list
are)?

I'm starting with a GB500 (single, for simplicity) then moving on to my FJ100,
then maybe a small-block chevy.

I looked at PIC's, but found an inexpensive (compared to the PIC) "starter
kit" for the HC11.  For about $70 I got an HC11 demo board with enough I/O to
do what you describe, and on-chip EEPROM to make code changes a snap with the
supplied serial cable and download software.  It looks like I'll be using this
thing to play with for now....have you considered the HC11?  If so why did you
choose the PIC?  just curious.

Based on what I've heard on this list about (relatively) large cams and o2
sensors, maybe a MAP input would be useful for tuning the idle mixture?  I
would think bikes would have an agressive cam for the higher redlines, but
they seem to idle smooth.  Maybe this won't be a problem for us bikers.

I'm not very far along yet...just lighting LED's.  How about you?