Super chargers + MAP

Jim Yeagley jimyeagley at stratos.net
Fri Dec 4 13:56:51 GMT 1998

I'll agree with Ed, here.  A friend at work has a Miata with a Corky Bell
supercharger kit installed.  It's a twin screw, whipple style 'charger, it
is placed after the throttle body, and it actually has a pretty large
intercooler after the 'charger.  They supplied an additional fuel pump, new
fuel pressure regulator that adjusts with boost, and an MSD boost timing
master.  He's since gone with a J&S knock sensor, I believe it's the same
one they use on Saturns.  The car's computer knows nothing of the extra
boost, more fuel is added by the regulator as boost goes up.

I guess it may seem a little crude to some, with a mechanical device dumping
more fuel pressure through the injectors, and an aftermarket timing aid
pulling back the timing to avoid detonation.  I've driven this little
rocket, gotta say what the hell, it works!

He's since gone with better flowing injectors, a larger intercooler, the
J&S, and a smaller pulley on the 'charger, and it overpowered a Centerforce
clutch.  He's since added a flywheel and race clutch from a 2.0 liter Miata.
Corky Bell dyno's this setup to be approx. 200 hp at rear wheels from a 1.6
liter wheezer!

Jim Yeagley