GM optispark

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Dec 6 18:31:08 GMT 1998

>Here's a mental project for anyone with extra time.  To: anyone familiar
>with GM optispark units.  As you know the whole thing is a pretty
>self-contained unit with a cap and rotor in a small, cam-driven unit and a
>nearby coil pack.  The problem is LT1 water pumps die pretty regularly at
>25-35k miles spewing dexcool all over the thing ruining it.  They are not
>rebuildable, they have to be replaced in one extremely expensive unit.  What
>about avoiding the time bomb altogether?  I was thinking a crank positioning
>sensor and one coil for each cylinder a la Northstar or LS1.  Will the
>computer signals be compatible with my stuff?  I want to keep the stock
>computer setup, just plug and go.
>
>Thanks,
>Curtis

Mebbe buying and installing an Edelbrock or Weiand waterpump would avoid:

(1) having to buy any more water pumps
(2) the source of the problems with the existing ignition units and
(3) existing cooling inadequacies.

(Not to say that it wouldn't be neat to convert to the other type of
ignition anyway!!)

Regards, Greg