Resend:Truck Rear Ends

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Sun Dec 6 20:02:57 GMT 1998

Gwyn Reedy wrote:

> For example, there was a recent post about finned differential covers and
> the web site mentions support for Dana 44, 60, 70, and 80 rear ends. I don't
> know which of those is half ton, or 3/4 or one ton etc, nor which brand uses
> what model.  I'm also am aware of some models of GM corporate rear ends.

Dana 44 is a light duty 1/2 ton used in early jeep CJ rear and Bronco front and
lots of GM/Ford/Chry SUV (Blazer) front ends. It;s now used in Vetts. (PS the
side gars are interchangeable with a 9" Ford, but they are 30 spline). The 60 is
generally the heavy half rear end also used in Hemi Chryslers and lite 3/4 ton
trucks, usually not floaters. The 70-80's used to be old 1 ton and larger w/
floaters (I Think).

Regards  Tom