GM optispark

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Dec 7 12:45:49 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Heflin <rah at horizon.hit.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Sunday, December 06, 1998 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: GM optispark

In you mention of slower to start is this most likely due to having to spin
over a full turn at times to synch things?.  Or does it take several full
crank revolutions to get things organized?.  Quesses here are fine by me.
Bruce

>I have the electromotive unit.
>
>It has a crank trigger with quite a few teeth (each 6 degrees I
>think), and generates the needed signals for the computer to be happy.
>It runs really good once it starts.  The starting is not quite as
>quick as with the stock opti, but I really improved and changed the
>readings at idle (better igntion/burning).  I probably should put
>something on my web page.  I have got a request from the fourth-gen
>f-body list to write up my experience.
>

> Roger
> 93 Z28, !opti, 115k original waterpump.
>
>On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Bruce Plecan wrote:

that some time ago, you'd have to hunt the archives, unless he's still
active.
>>     Cheers
>>     Bruce
>>

>>     Here's a mental project for anyone with extra time.  To: anyone
familiar with GM optispark units.  As you know the whole thing is a pretty
self-contained unit with a cap and rotor in a small, cam-driven unit and a
nearby coil pack.  The problem is LT1 water pumps die pretty regularly at
25-35k miles spewing dexcool all over the thing ruining it.  They are not
rebuildable, they have to be replaced in one extremely expensive unit.  What
about avoiding the time bomb altogether?  I was thinking a crank positioning
sensor and one coil for each cylinder a la Northstar or LS1.  Will the
computer signals be compatible with my stuff?  I want to keep the stock
computer setup, just plug and go.