GM optispark

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 7 15:02:20 GMT 1998

At 09:17 AM 12/7/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Ah, but they ARE!  If you care to look at an OptiSpark dissection at
>http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/optisprk/optisprk.htm you will see just how
>to take apart and clean these units.  I've also read (haven't confirmed
>though) that there are replacement internal parts for OptiSparks available
>at many parts houses, like Napa.

The 94/early 95's were of one design and the late 95's and up went to
another design... GM no longer sells parts or complete units for the
"older" ones, as it has superseded them with the new design. (Things are
slightly different in the new design other than just the vent tubes).
GM doesn't sell components for the new design, and the aftermarket doesn't
either.
My Father owns a garage and has tried for 3 different vehicles with bad
optispark units to get pieces from NAPA and other parts houses, but no one
is making them.  My dad's cost on the thing is about $340.00... retail is
$450+ from the dealer.
Cleaning would be the only option, but if the sensor is bad, or the "cap"
and/or rotor is carbon tracked, you're in for a replacement unit.

Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.