GM HEI computer control

Fran and Bud quest100 at gte.net
Tue Dec 8 03:19:40 GMT 1998

Don,
I think Howell Engine Developments can help you fit a TBI to your Pont.
(Told the same thing to an earlier post, week or two ago) They have a cast
adapter that is used to put SBC or even BBC TBI's on various Jeeps, motor
homes, etc.

Their adapter is a two piece unit that places the TBI bores over the Q-Jet
primaries rather than over the secondaries like the plate that comes with a
Pro-Jection, so that rear of throttle plate(s) dumps near center of manifold
opening rather than at rearmost edge of secondary opening.

Most, or at least many, manifolds have a dimension across the primaries
(outside to outside) that is similar to a Holley square opening,(about 3 5/8
in. as on a Torquer) while the equivalent dimension on a SBC TBI is 4.0 in.
(4 3/16 in.+/- on a BBC TBI).  The Howell bottom plate,is about 1/2 in thick
and tapers the 4 in dimension to the 3 5/8, when needed. (some aftermarket
manifolds have a thick/wide mounting surface around the primaries that can
be ground out to do the same thing, but many manifolds have only a thin, 1/4
in. or so, outline at the primaries and cannot accept a 4 in. opening.  You
can get the same effect by turning a Holley to Q-Jet carb adapter ($1 to $5
at most swap meets) upside down and backwards - that is square side down &
Q-Jet secondaries opening on top and forward. The Howell piece also provides
a balance slot between the two bores, much like a milled center divider in
the manifold.

The other piece,also cast aluminum, adapts the forward mounted TBI to a std.
4bbl Holley intake bolt pattern.

It would certainly be worth a phone call to check it out, particularly if
you dont have anyone with a milling machine. (if you do find someone, dont
try to mill a 3 5/8 in. square hole unless he can also weld). A couple of
carb gaskets, (Q-Jet and Holley square), will help to visualize this and
make sense of what is otherwise just words.

Howell is at:
Howell Engine Developments
6201 Industrial Way
Marine City, Michigan 48039