EFI on a Dodge 318

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 03:30:00 GMT 1998

Frederic wrote:
>The truck is a manual 4-speed, with granny gears and slightly bent
>shifting forks, which I have to fix.

Sounds like an A-833 trans.  Ever had one apart?  Mine needs synchros...
:(

>>Whatever else you do to the engine, the 383 (B) big blcok is the one
>>use--but unfortunately the bell housing has a different bolt pattern.
You

>This I'm anticipating.  I shall be seeking out in a junkyard this
>coming weekend while on a trip to NC to find the appropriate tranny &
>bellhousing, and flywheel for the 383.  The 383 I have has a
>flexplate currently.  I did buy the engine after all for a mere $75
>for a running, but greasy, engine. Tested it and it runs fine with no
>leaks.  Good enough to use as a foundation for a rebuild.

Warning - not all Chrysler engines had the pilot bearing bore drilled
into the end of the crank.  This means that not all motors off of auto
trannys will work with a manual trans.  Unless that pilot bearing hole
is there it won't work.

Finding Chrysler bellhousings is a pain - most yards melt them down -
all gone.  Took me 4 months to find a 318 to A-833 bellhousing while
doing a slant-6 to 318 conversion a few years ago...

-Bill
'94 Dodge Ram with a Rochester 2G off a 1972 Malibu :(
(damn Holley/Carter 2bbls...)