CDI powerfull multi-spark

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Thu Dec 10 13:52:05 GMT 1998

In a message dated 12/10/98 3:26:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mikefarr at hotmail.com writes:

> I have put a CDI which gives a fairly powerful multi-spark on a 2 litre
>  Ford pinto engine.  This engine is tuned to go up to 8500 RPM.
>  However after some runs the engine broke.  When we opend the engine up
>  we found that on piston was melted.  A friend of mine told me that a
>  powerfull spark may be the cause.  Has anyone encountered such a
>  situation and how can it be rectified.
>  Thanks in advance

That souinds more like (1.) lean mixture, or (2.) (less likely) retarded
timing.
  Either can cause combustion chamber temps to soar...But, retarded timing
will cause a serious reduction in performance, which wasn't mentioned,
so I'd wager the "lean-out" scenario is what took place...
Do you have any data such as O2 or (?) readings?
Mike V.