CDI powerfull multi-spark

Michael Farrugia mikefarr at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 14:54:05 GMT 1998

Unfortunately there are no O2 sensors fitted,  But before we engine blew
we put out the plugs and realised that the mixture was a bit week.  We
increased the size of the jets but it seems the harm has already been
done.  It was loosing a bit of performance when it got to 5000 on top
gear , on lower gears performance was better.
I can understand that weak mixture can heat up the chamber but I have
heard it from two sources that very powerful spark can melt the piston.
Can this be true?
thanks
Michael

>> I have put a CDI which gives a fairly powerful multi-spark on a 2
litre
>>  Ford pinto engine.  This engine is tuned to go up to 8500 RPM.
>>  However after some runs the engine broke.  When we opend the engine
up
>>  we found that on piston was melted.  A friend of mine told me that a
>>  powerfull spark may be the cause.  Has anyone encountered such a
>>  situation and how can it be rectified.
>>  Thanks in advance
>
>That souinds more like (1.) lean mixture, or (2.) (less likely)
retarded