pc efi

Gregory A. Parmer gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu
Wed Dec 16 14:43:48 GMT 1998

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Mike Pilkenton wrote:
> I was looking at the projects list on the web site and noticed the pc-based
> efi project was from 1994.  Has anyone pursued updating this approach or is
> $100) to run diagnostic routines on the cars.  I think one of the latest
> boards could potentially run the entire EFI, provide diagnostic outputs to
> the driver, run a digital dashboard, and even run an small LCD monitor (once
> these become cheaper to obtain).  Thoughts?  Anyone know anything more about
> these self contained pc boards?

Does seem entirely do-able. The modular approach taken by the
efi332 project would make much of the work applicable to a pc-based
system as well. Do recognize however that if your CPU dies
(quite possible considering the environment) you would lose
everything.

If you use a separate CPU to do the digital dash and diagnostic
end of things you'll have enough headroom for an MPEG player too.

The archives should have discussions of such from waaay back.
-greg