Boiler Compound

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Wed Dec 16 23:51:27 GMT 1998

>I have used Anhydrous Hydrazine (from the chem lab) (N2H4OH). It breaks
>down into
>amonia and water in sunlight or when not tightly sealed. It is caustic and the
>fumes will burn your eyes. 5cc per gallon is great. 10cc is max amount.
>More than
>1 pint per tankful is dangerous. It is some kind of combustion catalyst.
>
>Engines run smoother, make more power and RPM a lot better and higher and
>smooooother, like an old tired motor that likes to RPM. If you are driving
>by the
>seat of your pants (forget to LOOK at the tach.), you are likely to be
>over 7500
>before you know it (with a 6K motor), which is the cause of most explosions.
>
>It was outlawed by the NHRA because it causes the breakdown of
>nitromethane, leave
>a cupful of mixed fuel in a coffee can in the sun for 15 min and throw rocks at
>it.. It becomes a class A explosive. Drain it on the ground and it may
>spontaniously (sp) combust.
>
>Getting rid of the water from Scav-Ox so you can mix it with gas is a
>problem, but
>for water injection --- just the ticket.
>
>I also found out about amyle nitrate (sp) - nitrated alcohol in diesel fuel. We
>did some experimenting with it while trying to use diesahol ??? in
>diesels. Pure
>Ethanol will not "fire" easily without a spark, trouble for Diesels, AmN
>was used
>to raise the Ctain(?) rating and get it to burn in a compression ignition mode.
>
>They did run better and make a little more power, but they were not cost
>effective... it's really hard to beat good #2 DF. General thought was that it
>would take more than 20% AmN to do any dammage and that much probably would not
>make 10% more power.
>
>Regards  Tom

Amyl nitrate is an additive used by refineries to improve cetane rating of
diesel fuels, and it works well in small quantities, and economically, or
they wouldn't be using it. Problem with using it at home is that the DEA
(another bunch of GEEKS) will think you are using it for other types of
fun!! (Known as "poppers" on THAT part of the street.)

Regards, Greg