broken turbo

West, David djwest at subcorp.com.au
Thu Dec 17 08:37:31 GMT 1998

Hello all,

Just a quick one,

If a turbo housing failed in some way near the oil galleries is it
true that you generally only get oil into the combustion chamber when
under vacuum conditions where as boost will pressurise the oil
galleries? Secondly, when this oil burns will it be mainly whitish
smoke? Thirdly, should this oil be present throughout the intake
manifold or is it fine enough mist that it is hard to detect.

I have bluey / black smoke coming out my exhaust and are just trying
to rule out a blown turbo. I think that a have a major enrichment
problem as my plugs are fouling quickly and my car is not driveable.
All sensors appear to be operating correctly, ECCM shows no fault
codes and compression is ok.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Regards,

David West