Boiler Compound

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Thu Dec 17 14:41:26 GMT 1998

The F16 is a fly by wire aircraft, so if you run out of electrons, the plane becomes a very expensive high school gravity experiment with the pilot along for the ride.  The answer developed was a hydrazine powered auxiliary turbine.  If the electrical power fails,
hydrazine is squirted onto a catalyist and into the turbine. This comes on line in less than 2 seconds.  The turbine is connected to an emergency generator and hydraulic pump.  He has maybe 5 to 7 minutes to find someplace to land.

When the system and the plane was developed in 1974 to 1975, nobody was worried about the hydrazine.  Then someone made rats live in it and noticed a slight rise in cancer problems and bam, instant change.  A large amount of protective equipment is required for
handling.  But this is very pure stuff.  Hell, at Edwards Air Force Base, if  Locktite is used, the user has to wear 100% coverage and the left over tube has to be treated as a hazardous substance and disposed of correctly.

How do you know what is really bad?  Just because I've used Locktite a couple of times doesn't mean I'm going to die of cancer.

I'd like to try some of this Oxi-stuff.

Joe (Frustrated) Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban