Flow rates for nozzles

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Dec 17 23:11:15 GMT 1998

>*** come on guyes I'm interested in this too me and barry can't be the only
>people  ******
>*** out there wanting to use fuel injectors for water injection
>************************

An alky rated injector should do it just fine. Dunno as I would want to use
a standard petrol rated injector unit, though--but if that is what you
have, what's to lose??? Worst they can do is plug up with corrosion and/or
quit working, then you could replace them with Alky rated units.

Filtering the water would, of course, be just as critical as filtering fuel
is to injector life, tho. It would definitely require a different type of
filter element to work properly with water, so pay attention!! I would also
suggest using only reasonably "soft" water. But DO NOT try using regular
"softened" water, as it is full of sodium chloride!! You would need RO
treated or demineralized water if decent quality water is not readily
available to you.

I hear (HI BRUCE) that about 1/2 the mass flow of fuel is about the right
water flow rate. I also SUSPECT that if you are getting GOOD atomization of
the water, injecting it close to the intake valve, AND synchronizing the
squirt of the water with the inhale (high air flow velocity in the intake
port) that a water mass flow rate as high as 100 or 125% of the fuel mass
flow rate could have positive influence on HP output, particularly if you
go with a higher than usual static compression ratio.

I am planning to try most or all of this stuff myself, but no hard results
to talk about yet. Basically, I want to inject enough water to keeep the
temperature of the compressed mixture down to 250--300 degrees F. at the
point of ignition!! I am even tempted to try to get turbos to work (at 8
psig boost, or so, intercooled) with 10 or 10.5:1 compression ratio AND
still use regular, unleaded fuel!!! Without synchronizing the water squirt
with inhale though, the higher water flow rates WILL DEFINITELY reduce HP
output because of water vapor displacing really significant amounts of
combustion air in the intake tract. Remember--the molecular weight of H2O
is only 18, which means it takes up LOTS of volume as a gas!!

>From what Bruce says, it sounds as though a mechanical (engine driven) high
pressure water pump would be a good idea both so as to shed electrical
overhead and so as to improve efficiency. DSR (Memphis, Tenn.) makes gear
type FUEL pumps which are entirely hard anodized AND polymer coated on all
internals as well. These units oughtta live pumping CLEAN water, but $$$
again!

Regards, Greg