Water Injection

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 17 23:15:50 GMT 1998

At 09:00 AM 12/18/98 +1000, you wrote:

>WE ALLWAYS HEAR ABOUT WATER INJECTION FOR TURBO OR BLOWN CARS. WHAT ABOUT
>NORMALLY ASPORATED CARS
>IS THERE ANY BENIFIT IN INSTALLING WATER INJECTION HERE. FOR EXAMPLE HIGH
>COMPRESSION ETC...

Yes!
My father has a Datsun pickup and wanted to tow his boat with it. (15 foot
bass boat).  He put in 240Z pistons (only 4 of them though) to raise
compression to about 10.5:1, added a 2 bbl progressive webber downdraft
(32-36DGV I think) a header and 2.5" exhaust and the cam from the larger
4cyl truck motor... On 93 octane it pinged unless he mad it so rich it
smoked grey when you punched it.  He added an Edelbrock water injection
system with a single nozzle in the air cleaner above the primary throat of
the carb and played with the assortment of jets and restrictors sent with
the kit until the knock was gone.  He took it one step further and started
mixing methanol with the water at about a 50-50 ratio... seemed to add a
bit more zing to it when the water injection kicked in once the alcohol was
there!
Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.