broken turbo

Tom Parker tparker at nznet.gen.nz
Fri Dec 18 10:54:14 GMT 1998

West, David <djwest at subcorp.com.au> wrote:

>If a turbo housing failed in some way near the oil galleries is it
>true that you generally only get oil into the combustion chamber when
>under vacuum conditions where as boost will pressurise the oil
>galleries? Secondly, when this oil burns will it be mainly whitish
>smoke? Thirdly, should this oil be present throughout the intake
>manifold or is it fine enough mist that it is hard to detect.

I have had experiance with Minis sucking up oil through their crank case
breather system. When a Mini with the right type of breathers goes hard round
a corner the oil can get thrown into the breathers and it goes straight into
the inlet manifold. If this happens you get huge clouds of white smoke. If the
rings have gone, then you get blue smoke.

I don't know about turbos, but large amounts of oil into the inlet manifold
can produce white smoke.

Tom Parker - tparker at nznet.gen.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/