broken turbo

Fredrik Skog c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Fri Dec 18 12:11:56 GMT 1998

On 18 Dec 1998, Tom Parker wrote:

> West, David <djwest at subcorp.com.au> wrote:
>
> >If a turbo housing failed in some way near the oil galleries is it
> >true that you generally only get oil into the combustion chamber when
> >under vacuum conditions where as boost will pressurise the oil
> >galleries? Secondly, when this oil burns will it be mainly whitish
> >smoke? Thirdly, should this oil be present throughout the intake
> >manifold or is it fine enough mist that it is hard to detect.
>
> I have had experiance with Minis sucking up oil through their crank case
> breather system. When a Mini with the right type of breathers goes hard round
> a corner the oil can get thrown into the breathers and it goes straight into
> the inlet manifold. If this happens you get huge clouds of white smoke. If the
> rings have gone, then you get blue smoke.
>
> I don't know about turbos, but large amounts of oil into the inlet manifold
> can produce white smoke.

I run my turbo engine without valve seals on the exhaust valves, because
they don't get enough lubrication othervise. On every startup this
produces a large cloud of white smoke due to oil running down the valve
shafts into the cylinder.

> --
> Tom Parker - tparker at nznet.gen.nz
>            - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/

	Student at the Department of Computing Science Umeå University

Fredrik Skog			       E-mail: c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Taffelstråket 51		       WWW: http://www.acc.umu.se/~skog/
903 53 Umeå                            Phone: +46-(0)90-136365

		Living and dying laughing and crying
		Once you have seen it you will never be the same
		Life in the fast lane is just how it seems
		Hard and it is heavy dirty and mean
							/MetallicA