Water Injection

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Fri Dec 18 13:23:41 GMT 1998

Hi,
Years ago, (1978) I ran a water injector system on a 74 Vega BT. It was just a
basic 1950's style one that was designed to leak air past a needle valve,
bubble it through a bottle of water under the hood and pass it into the engine
between the PCV valve and carb base. It was great for milage, simple and we
would open the needle, do a nice freeway run for a few miles and then street
race it. Never found any soot ot speak of in the spark plugs, and never pinged
when we ran it.
We tried an Edelbrock water injection unit on a high compression 383 dodge
about the same time and never really got conclusive results.
Look through the 1970's hot rod magazines and you will find a plethora of
water injection ideas.
It isn't new, My father had told me of some that his friends worked with one
that used the cast iron exaust manifolds to drip water on and then pull the
steam into the carb by a pipe running up from the manifold.
A strange possibility, would be to use a Holley power valve and a spare float
bown with a large remote tank and pump.
These are not electonic injection, but they have pretty much all been tried.
Fred Harmon
WE ALLWAYS HEAR ABOUT WATER INJECTION FOR TURBO OR BLOWN CARS. WHAT ABOUT
NORMALLY ASPORATED CARS
IS THERE ANY BENIFIT IN INSTALLING WATER INJECTION HERE. FOR EXAMPLE HIGH
COMPRESSION ETC...