Flow rates for nozzles

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Dec 19 03:08:05 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry E. King <beking at home.com>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Friday, December 18, 1998 9:24 PM
Subject: RE: Flow rates for nozzles

>> -----Chris C.'s Original Message-----
>
>> At 06:49 PM 12/17/98 -0700, Barry E. King wrote:
>>
>> While I agree with Greg's comments about an *optimal* setup, I think the
>> simple system can give positive results, especially on a boosted motor.
>> Might I suggest that you *don't* want fine atomization, if you're going
>> to inject the water far before the intake valve? You want medium
>> atomization, coarse enough that most of the water gets into the cylinder
>> as liquid, but fine enough that it all evaporates inside. (Although at
>> 25 psi boost, I don't think evaporating it all will be a problem!)
>>
>> Water flow at 50% of the fuel flow rate (mass/mass) is the number I
>> keep hearing, not to say that other numbers can't work.

50% is from Sir Harry Ricardo's Book as a max number, and what
we use in a max effort pulling tractor running 60 PSI of booost.

If non intercooled, and your looking to help cool the intake air charge,
then I'd go with the finer the mist the better.

>This is what I am not sure of.  Seems to me the kits I have seen are much
>much lower than 50%.  I am wondering what range should be considered
usable.
>I read one study that worked with 5-15% based on mass.  Also the nozzles
>that come with a number of the kits I have seen would be limited to more in
>the 10-15% range, but I dunno.  This is something I need to determine.  I'd
>prefer to not use trial and error to get into the ballpark.  Do you recall
>where you got the 50% number?
>
>> Water turning to vapor too soon (outside the cylinder) and displacing
>> charge air is a real concern, but the problem is perhaps less bad than
>> with the fuel itself. Mainly due to the much higher heat capacity and
>> latent heat of vaporization, but also due to the fact that most water
>> injection systems only come online at high mass flow rates. Finally
>> the water flow rate is not critical, you can increase it some which
>> will result in less of it vaporizing (to some extent).
>
>Since the manifold will be at relatively high boost anyway I am hoping this
>isn't too big of a concern but it is definitely something I need to watch.
>
>> The quick hack, which it sounds like you already have, is to just
>> monitor one of the existing injector wires, and use that signal
>> (buffered, of course) to pulse your water injectors. Choose your
>> pressures and nozzle sizes, and you're done, as far as the control
>> electronics go. Soooo easy. :)

Fuel consumption from max torque to max HP is increased by only
a couple percent per K of rpm, so it don't have to be very precise,