water injection

H Villemure memvive at globetrotter.qc.ca
Sun Dec 20 05:44:41 GMT 1998

Greg Hermann wrote:

>  Cylinder temperatures are
> >> around 2000 F so any water that's in there goes out with the exhaust.
> >>

> More like high 4000's to low 5000's (F.) peak (burning gasoline), depending
> on compression ratio and efficiency of intercooler.
>
> >Anywhere the water exists as water, and not "dry steam" corrosion is a
> >distinct possibility. Particularly in the "injectors"
> >Get a bit of water into the fuel on an EFI engine and let it sit a
> >couple of weeks - then try to figure out why it runs like doggy-doo.
> >Been there, done that - got the T Shirt.
>
> True enough, if it is an open system. But the real culprit is oxygen
> dissolved in the water. "De-aerated" water is not particularly corrosive.
> Wet steam is ABRASIVE as anything, not really corrosive--about like
> sand-blasting--this is why a head gasket leak will clean a chamber. And why
> letting the steam in a steam turbine go wet will wipe out the turbine
> blades in a HUGE hurry.

Errmmm... I thought it was cavitation.

> >I would tend to agree. Proper design will not require water injection -
> >and water injection will not fix poor design - just mask the symptoms.
>
> I disagree here. I think there is a lot of unexplored potential for
> improvement with sophisticated water injection. For instance--what might
> happen with DIRECT (straight into the chamber, after the intake valve has
> closed) water injection? Some very interesting (buckets of caffeine, and
> several Excedrin) thermodynamica involved if one tried it this way!!!
>
> Regards, Greg

Well here I must say that just as with NOx, it is a question of whether
you want to have performance "on motor" or "anything goes". It flatters
my ego more to kick a** on motor and controllers alone because I know I
can do it again and again provided I keep my car in good tune, whereas
this guy is a bit embarrassed when the bottle peters out or the mixture
is nowhere to be found...

--
Helene V.