water injection and then some (long!)

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 06:14:19 GMT 1998

In a message dated 12/19/98 6:23:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
twsharpe at mtco.com writes:

<< We have talked about a lot of ideas, but no one has mentioned the
 possiblity/problem of hydraulic lock with heavy water injection. High
 compression alky motors occasionally break a piston/pin when they misfire
while
 cold. Water (and alcohol) doesn't compress very well. An abundance of liquid
 water in the combustion chamber could be a problem.

 regards  Tom

Somehow the idea seems to keep coming up that every intake cycle will have
water in it. Water is only needed when there is detonation. When was that a
problem at idle or at shutdown? Talk to the guys who run Alky motors, as in
Funny Car or Spints, and they will tell you that they shut of the fuel and
drain the lines by running it dry. They start the motor with the fuel shut off
and a small prime of gas.
The only damage I have ever heard of from hydraulic damage ( excluding head
gaskets failure) has been from electric fuel pumps that had more pressure than
the carb needle and seat could hold back and from water injection that the
owner failed to install properly and allowed the water to syphon into the
manifold after it had been shut off. The stuff works, Look back into 1970's
mags and you will see a lot of it.