Ignition theory

Chris Morriss crsm at oroboros.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 20 19:59:53 GMT 1998

In message <003901be2b84$966918a0$602005cf at tegu.talarian.com>, James
Montebello <jamesm at talarian.com> writes

>I'm sure everyone on this list is familiar with the idea that
>ignition advance increases with engine speed.  However, a number
>of the newer ignition systems take load into account to alter
>the timing.  I would suppose that one retards as load increases
>(wild guess there).  Any general relationships?  Most of the
>systems I've seen use throttle angle to indirectly measure load.
>Is it likely they take a rate of change into account as well?
>If so, what would be the general behavior for a given rate of
>change?
>
>Just trying to get a discussion going...
>
>james montebello

I've often wondered why advance is given in degrees instead of in time
units (milliseconds).  It's a lot easier to set the correct advance if
the advance look-up table is in milliseconds of advance rather than in
degrees.  The system I'm trying out a few design ideas on at the moment
has the table in milliseconds.
--
Chris Morriss