water injection

H Villemure memvive at globetrotter.qc.ca
Sun Dec 20 19:07:30 GMT 1998

Greg,

not to bicker for too long on this, but

Greg Hermann wrote:

> >> True enough, if it is an open system. But the real culprit is oxygen
> >> dissolved in the water. "De-aerated" water is not particularly corrosive.
> >> Wet steam is ABRASIVE as anything, not really corrosive--about like
> >> sand-blasting--this is why a head gasket leak will clean a chamber. And why
> >> letting the steam in a steam turbine go wet will wipe out the turbine
> >> blades in a HUGE hurry.
> >
> >Errmmm... I thought it was cavitation.
> >> >

> Wet steam is little bits of water at high velocity (carried in the
> steam--like sand-blasting.
>
> Cavitation is little bubbles of vapor (steam) in a lot of water collapsing.
> When the bubble is bounded partly by a part (like a pump impeller) , the
> impact of the large bulk of the liquid on the part after collapse of the
> bubble is horrendous, and the culprit. Sort of the same process, but turned
> inside out.

Cavitation is a vaporization phenomenon usually due to local low
pressures, such as in the wake of an impeller blade; what damages the
solid the more is the *implosion* of those vapor bubbles close to the
material, whence metal can be torn off by instantaneous depressurization
when the bubble collapses; it is not the backlash shock of water
re-settling close to the material. As for water droplet blasting, I
wouldn't know, the instances I have seen showed corrosion at front and
tips and erosion at the low pressure areas of the back?...

> >Well here I must say that just as with NOx, it is a question of whether
> >you want to have performance "on motor" or "anything goes". It flatters
> >my ego more to kick a** on motor and controllers alone because I know I
> >can do it again and again provided I keep my car in good tune, whereas
> >this guy is a bit embarrassed when the bottle peters out or the mixture
> >is nowhere to be found...
>
> ME TOO! But water is cheap and usually available--If it turns out that I
> can get lower bsfc at cruise, longer engine life AND more HP, all on
> cheaper fuel, I am ready to explore the possibilities, and then try it!
> Pride has its limits!!

There is also something I have been wondering, what about the effects of
minerals in water like Ca and Na? You would have to use distilled or at
least demineralized water, right?

--
Helene V.