Direct Injection

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Sun Dec 20 19:07:03 GMT 1998

Now that the subject of direct injection of water has been opened, just gotta
add my .02.

Injection of water on the intake stroke will help reduce pumping losses and
get the water where its needed - but it still enters the combustion and
changes the combustion - sometimes not optimally.  And the 50% limit would
probably still apply.  Really nice carnot cycle ideal gas centric drivel.

Consider that at combustion the fire is generally out by 20 after TDC but the
gas is still at 1500+ degrees and is not really doing a lot of work.  If you
are going thru the effort to inject into the cylinder, now is the time.  H2O
transiting from water to steam expands 1800 times.  706f=aprox 3206 Psi.

Screw all the improving knock, bsfc stuff - just turn it into an  internal
combustion contaminated open cycle steam engine.   After you have made the
heat, as long as its above the boiling point of the injected water, you make
power. Steam at around 460 degrees is still 600 psi.  Now there is almost
complete decoupling of water from fuel flow.

Would this work and how much heat? Earlier this year, someone tested one of my
whacky water ideas on a dino.  If he chooses, he can post the specific results

Simply put, water properly injected at the right point, can spin a turbo up
harder and faster than you can ever imagine and you can toss that restrictive
and expensive waste gate in the trash.  And the controller can be implemented
in a stamp.  And when you fail "out of water" you fail safe on pressure.  But
then we don't even want to think about that cause we'd rather build the power
in than use chemical energy.   After all, how can all the part suppliers stay
wealthy if we don't consume.  And we really think having all that inefficient
metal hanging about is really cool.

The Luddites were RIGHT!!

Habaneros - not just for breakfast anymore