broken turbo

West, David djwest at subcorp.com.au
Mon Dec 21 04:10:41 GMT 1998

Greg,

Just thinking,

Maybe I am confused about the definition of duty cycle (%)

My duty cycle meter is a simple multimeter jobby that I think relates
on time to off time as a %.

I thought that duty cycle is the % of time the injector is open
compare to the time is can be open until it has to open again.

So as rpm increases the available open time decreases.

Therefore at 6000 rpm,

Assuming the injectors fire once every cycle (these actually fire
twice on this motor) that gives 3000 pulses every minute.

Which equals 50 pulses per second
Which gives a maximum open time of 20 msec
Therefore 80% = 16 msec

Now at 1000 rpm - 8.33 pulses per second
Which gives a maximum open time of 120 msec
Therefore 2% = 2.4 msec

So from this I get 15% total power which equates to 30 hp (different
from my other figure)

Now there could be any number of reasons why all this is total garbage
and I sure, and hope, that someone will set me straight.

Kind Regards,

David West