L-Jetronic mods

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Mon Dec 21 23:26:27 GMT 1998

James Weiler wrote:

> 1st of all it's always the most rewarding if you can get something like
> this to work as it would come from your brain and not your wallet.  What
> kind of signal is the GT-S dist. sending to the ECU?? Is it a hall effect
> or just a magnetic pick-up?  If it's magnetic pick up then does your 3T-C
> have an electronic ignition?  How many cylinders is this 3T-C?  What kind
> of car did it originally come in?  I have a fairly good book on L-jet
> which I can photocopy and fax (or snail mail) to you if you like.
> Tell me more about the two engines, I'm doing the same kind of thing so I
> understand where you are coming from.
> cheers
> jw
>
>  On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Aaron Willis
> wrote:
>
> > My first post to this list -
> >
> > HELP!! I am new to all this stuff. Basically I am trying to inject and
> > possibly supercharge a currently carbureted engine. The engine is a
> > Toyota 3T-C and the injection is a L-Jetronic system from a Toyota
> > Corolla GT-S twincam. These are the stumbling blocks I have found:
> >
> > 1. The injectors are 210cc each. I've read these are only good for 30
> > horsepower each, four injectors = 120 hp. I do have eight injectors. Can
> > I use them all?
> > 2. The airflow sensor (flapper style) is tiny. Can I use one from a
> > bigger Toyota or other car on the stock computer? Will that compensate
> > for having eight injectors?
> > 3. The computer gets its RPM signal from a sensor in the distributor,
> > which my dixxy doesn't have. Do I have to make it fit in my dizz or can
> > I use a crank wheel instead?
> > 4. Or should I sell it all off and go programmable? I am trying to do
> > this on a budget.
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> > Aaron Willis
> > Redding, CA USA

James,
   Thanks for your interest in my project.  The GT-S the injection came from
has two pickups in the dist., one for spark (four tooth) and one for "other",
with only one point, which I am going to assume relates to TDC on #1.
   The 3T-C (transplant recipient) is also a four cylinder Toyota, but whereas
the GT-S (4A-GE) is a 1587cc 'valver, the 3T-C is a 1770cc, 8-valve pushrod
Hemi from '80-'82 Corollas.  The basic engine was also produced as 2T (1588cc)
and 3T variants including turbo/injected twincam models which never made it to
the states. I would like to use commonly available parts for this swap, hence
the GT-S componentry.
   The 3T-C does have an electronic distributor, the pickup having foir points
for spark but none for fuel as the engine was carbureted.  Something that just
occured was the use of a 3T-GTE (twincam turbo) distributor - anybody in the
Northerc California area have one available?  I may be able to install the
4A-GE pickup in the 3T-C dizz, haven't been able to check it yet.
   Anybody else have anything to add to this project (words of discouragement,
comments about rubber rooms, etc)?

Thanks
Aaron