Drive by wire and the wish to survice the experience.

David-HMSE Higham dhigh at hitachi-eu.com
Tue Dec 22 10:19:42 GMT 1998

     Hi Gents,

     First posting for me so I suppose a brief intro. would be appropriate.
     I'm developing an EMS (engine management system) for my 1972 Hillman
     Imp (1ltr) which is being called back into regular service after I
     took a fall from my CBR600 yesterday (must be getting old or
     something). I digress, I'm basing the system on an 40MHz 512K Flash
     32K RAM device, so I've hopefully got a lot of time and memory to play
     with. The intention is to develop it for MPI using MAP initially (due
     to availability of bits) and then move to MAF in near future. I'm also
     contemplating drive by wire which has the potential for some
     interesting failure modes!

     Does anyone have a feel for a safety strategy for such a set up? (Did
     he mention safety?....what sort of foolish thinking is that!) As I
     understand it, there is a TPS feedback signal and the Idle Switch.
     Along with the BRS (big red switch) I was thinking of using the Idle
     Switch to validate the TPS signal which used in the control loop along
     with pedal position. Call me cautious or something, but this does not
     seem enough to me! Cruise footbrake switch(s) not viable due to left
     footbraking if I'm feeling daring! Are there two pots. in the TPS, if
     not could I install a 2nd one? Any recommendations of A/D sampling
     freq. for the TPS?

     On a general point re. engine protection I've worked with Diesel FIE
     before, (please don't black list me! I bet you would if I told it was
     Lucas!) and these EMS's have various maps/controls to limit
     torque/fuel, e.g. max speed, max torque curve, boost limit, coolant
     temp protection (hot and cold). What's the score in gasoline engines
     and how's it achieved?

     One last thing for now, when you talk of MAF and MAP used for timing
     and injection calcs, do you actually mean MAF and MAp that's
     compensated for atmospheric pressure and intake temp?

     Cheers,

     Dave