spiralmax

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Sat Dec 26 08:34:57 GMT 1998

Daniel Peper wrote:

> Have any of you guys heard of a product called SpiralMax, its a piece of
> metal that has fixed blades on it and you put it inside the intake hose and
> it supposedly swirls the air causing a turbocharge type of effect.  their
> webpage is at http://www.spiralmax.com/
>
> I just want to know what you guys think.
>
> On a second note, I wrote them an email saying I was skeptical, and this is
> what I got as a reply, I almost can't believe it.
>
> "You're young, and you are hard to part with your
> money that is the reason why you are so skeptic, it is not that you are
> skeptic because you are a scholar or scientist. That category of people
> are skeptic of everything, laws of physics and chemistry take a change
> every so many years. You are also making assumptions on a subject you
> know nothing of, i.e. that you are the most skeptic of all my customers,
> what do you know to say that? We have had 100's of thousands of
> inquiries, do you know all of them? Your remark is emotional then, as
> Spock would say, illogical. Just the facts, is the way to go."
>
> I think someone needs to work a little more on their customer relation
> skills.
>
> Just for that I probably won't buy the product.

Daniel,

Holy Turbulence! You made my night. Just when I thought humans were
progressing, a bozo like this comes along...first off, to insult a potential
customer AND state that the "laws of physics and chemistry take a change
every so many years"...unbelievable.
  But to sell a product like this?  Well, they must sell some, as they have a
lot of advertising, which isn't cheap.  But this thing has to be a joke.
  I HAVE seen products that are similar for the Harley-Davidson market.
They are little brass inserts with blades that are bent so as to impart a spin
to the incoming air. The difference is that these are installed AFTER the
carburetor, and are intended to improve air/fuel atomization (a noble quest)
by tumbling the mixture. I don't see how disturbing "dry" air in an otherwise
smooth path can possibly improve the intake charge, especially that far up-
stream of the fuel.
  I will also forward this to an EFI mailing list and see if I can get any
input
from them. There are some genuine rocket scientists on that list and they
might know something we don't.

Thanks for a good laugh -

Aaron