Spiral Max

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 26 17:39:00 GMT 1998

Well, Here's one of their testimonies...

         § '97 Dodge, Stratus, V-6 168HP with autostick- I failed to lift
the negative battery terminal, so
          initial reaction was disappointing, no change. Finally, I re
re-read the installation instructions,
          and reset the air-fuel computer by lifting the negative for 5
minutes. You need to highlight that
          instruction. Results are phenomenal: It went from 23.8 to 32.5
mpg, +9 mpg, and 168 hp to
          225 hp +60 hp.

          Thank you!!!

          Gerry Crockett, Novato, CA

Without a dyno, how would you know that there was a "60HP increase"... this
clown can't even do the math... 225 - 168 = 57 not 60
Reading thru their testimonials they all sound like they were written by
the same person... same grammar, same unreasonable claims etc.
here's a good one:

§ '95 Neon Sport 4 cyl. 2.0 DOHC 16 valve- I purchased two of your units
and put one by the
          filter and the other by the throttle plat. Wow! The car is a
rocket! I have also noticed a 3-4
          mpg increase in my fuel efficiency ...

          Scott Seymour, Behtlehem, PA

I had a 95 neon... I added a 2.5" cat back exhaust, K&N airfilter etc... I
probably knocked .2 to .5 seconds off my 0-60 times, but gas mileage stayed
the same.

Here's the letter I wrote to them:

Hello,
What documented proof do you have from dyno testing for this product, where
the only change is the addition of the spiral max device?
It has been proven on carbureted and TBI fuel injected enjines that
turbulence induced *after* the fuel is introduced to the intake charge that
more complete atomization/vaporization takes place and there is a benefit
to be had, but on PFI or Diesel apps, turbulence in the airstream *before*
the fuel is injected can have anywhere from no effect to a detrimental effect.
on PFI, the fuel is injected onto the backside of the intake valve usually
within an inch or so of the intake valve.  A turbulent airstream will have
negligible effect on this atomization process.  The swirl that is created
by the design of the combustion chamber and the placement of the intake
valve will be the definitive factor.
On a diesel engine, the swirl can inhibit the flow of air if it is too
turbulent.  It will have 0 effect on combustion, as combustion in a diesel
occurs  *during* the injection of fuel and at the top of the compression
stroke.  Any swirl imparted to the airstream is long gone by the time the
piston reaches the top of the compression stroke, the injector opens and
combustion begins.
This really sounds like a modern day "snake oil" scam.
If you have documentation showing an increase of HP that can be repeated on
any dyno with only the addition of the swirl max device, i'd love to see
it.  If not, maybe the California State Attorney Generals office needs to
be alerted to another scam.
Thanks,
Dave Cooley

Se what kind of a response I get...
Do they even realize that on MAF cars there is a set of "honeycomb" air
straighteners before the MAF element that would negate any effect their
device has?
Wonder if these are the same people that came up with the "Nology Plug wires".
They cost me $1500.00 in repairs to my neon, then told the CA State atty
generals office (and produced a bogus letter to the fact) that they tried
to talk me out of using them that they were for offroad vehicles only...
Buttheads!

Happy holidays,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.