Chemical warfare

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Sun Dec 27 02:47:15 GMT 1998

In a message dated 12/25/98 10:56:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
synchris at ricochet.net writes:

<< Robert Harris wrote:

 > Acetone is always an option.

Chris Conlon wrote:

 What's the octane number of acetone? I'd be scared that it, like most
 small ketones and aldehydes, would be a strong pro-oxidant and prone
 to detonation and/or doing nasty things to the insides of your fuel
 system. But hey, simple theories are so often wrong.

I dont have a specific octane for acetone. I do remember some writing on the
subject during the first unleaded and low octane days that recommended 1-2
ounces per gallon of gas to bring the octane up 4-5 points. Kind of hard on
fuel lines at times times and I am not sure what effect it might have on
injectors, particulary with the introduction moisture.
The mention of Castor oil to the fuel as a lubricant in a previous message was
interesting. One of the engineers from Duchams (UK) mentioned in an article
that the highest lubricity thye had found (1980's) was Castor bean oil. It was
only suitable for minimal use, as they had not found a way to keep it from
oxidizing, and turning into a gum. Might be a problem on O2 sensors I would
guess.