CARB (was More SpiralMax)

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 27 02:47:18 GMT 1998

"Michael D. Porter" wrote:
> As I recall, any device certified for aftermarket use in California is
> issued an exemption license number. That exemption number indicates that
> the device does not interfere with the emission and mileage
> characteristics of the vehicle as sold _and_ performs as claimed. The
> site states that the device "has the California Air Resource Bureau #EOD
> 400-2 which makes it legal in California, and the 50 states." Executive

Well, for my first post to this list (been digest digging for almost a
year, though), I *love* emissions topics. I've been doing a fair bit of
learning recently (because of my state's requirements). So, when this
popped up, I couldn't resist. :) I found this page:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/devices.htm

On which is written:

Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB
engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not
increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission
control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an
Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on
specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or
modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check
stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.

SpiralMax owns E.O. D-400 - thier first filing was in '96, D-400-1 was
'97, and D-400-2 was for '98. So, they have "bothered" with filing, but
again, it doesn't mean squat. I wouldn't buy their crap... ;)

Now, to change topic midstream, anyone here know anything about this
software?

http://www.3wad.com/EW/home.htm

Interesting stuff... Perhaps a bit pricey for me personally, but it
looks like kewl stuff...

As for me, I'm retrofitting a L98 TPI motor in to a 79 Camaro, and will
be working on rolling my own ECU parameters to match my cam... :)

Laters...

Andrew M
94ZRagtop / 79 L98 Camaro