water injection

Steve maxboost at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 27 07:12:37 GMT 1998

>>Running a water injection system is a waste of time I must say. The only
>>thing it does is cool the combustion chamber and thus prevent detonation.
>>With proper intercooling, the right advance and sensable boost, (use
>>calculations), there is no need for water injection. Water injection is
>>about 20 steps back, do you know of any F1 cars that use water injection?
>>

>Wrong. H2O injection has just never been developed to its full potential.
>And the FI guys are neither divine nor infallible!! Plus, I have no idea
>what their rules say about using it. And it is truly scary to ponder how
>much better several of the people just on this list could do with that kind
>of money available to spend!!
>
>Regards, Greg

The F1 boys used water injection on both turbo and non turbo in the mid
'80's until the water was considered part of the fuel capacity of the car.
They only had 150 liters of fuel to play with.  Ferrari in association with
AGIP used a deal called 'Emulsistem' which emulsified the fuel and water and
squirted it through the injector.

Both BMW and Ferrari abandoned water injection in favor of high percentage
toulene based fuels.  Although most teams used water sprayed intercoolers
until boost was limited to 2.5 bar absolute.

The non-turbo teams used the water for the engine and to cool the brakes.
They would also add water along with tires midway through the race. Funny
thing was when the water reservoir was inspected after the race it contained
water and lead shot!  They were starting the race under weight and then
adding ballast during the pit stop for the last half of the race.