Nology

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 30 05:42:51 GMT 1998

At 12:47 AM 12/30/98 -0500, you wrote:

>All so true... but do the manufactures give their customers any hints in
>testing the RF impedance?  Do they specify a ground braid length?

Nope... They tell you to make sure it is a good *DC* ground.  As to length
they just say not to cut the braid... It has a Crimp terminal on the end to
put under a bolt (not even soldered, only crimped... I soldered mine before
I installed)

>What frequency are we talking about anyhow?  Spark transmitters tend to
>transmit a very broad signal.  No matter what you choose, you are going
>to filter out some frequency and pump the energy into others.

Random, Very high freq, but such short duration and of such a wide band of
frequencies it looks like a solid burst of energy on a scope.
The FCC would have a field day with Nology!!!
My Neon, while it had them on, would trash radio reception for quite a
distance in all directions with the hood closed!

>Of course, there is probablly a resonent frequency associated with the
>wire.  It is, after all, an LC circuit.  Do the good conscientious folks
>at Nology give their customers a clue about how to determine this and
>adjust the length of the ground braid accordingly?

They have no clue whatsoever... they no nothing about RF, and even less
about AC theory in general... Their claim that the Nology wires "Increase
the Voltage *AND* increase the current violates the laws of physics!  They
do state not to cut the braids!

>Or, perhaps the RFI is just something that happens in an unpredictable
>fashion?  (randomly?  nah... chaos system)
>
>Do they warn that it might happen even with a low DC resistance to
>ground?  Do they warn their customers that they should test for RFI and
>take steps to fix it if it occurs?  Do they offer help to those (perhaps
>few) who have problems because of their wires?  Appearently not.

Nope... Not a single mention of RFI in any of their documentation.  They
claim that because they have CARB exemptions, they are "Smog Legal and
approved!"
If CARB finds out they hose the sensor readings going into the PCM and make
the PCM falsely modify fuel, timing etc, they won't be for sale in
California much longer!

>Even if RFI is only a problem in .01% of the installations that are done
>to their specifications, they should have the integrity to do what it
>takes to make things right with the unfortunate customer.  I like to do
>business with people who have that kind of integrity.

Exactly... But when they tell a customer to go F&%k himself, then lie and
tell the BBB that "We warned him they weren't for a street driven vehicle",
they should all be lined up and shot!

Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.