Water Injection Thread

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Dec 31 05:26:40 GMT 1998

>Frederic Breitwieser wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> For chassis setup and testing, I'll be using a N/A 4.1L block with an Audi
>> FWD transaxle, which will be replaced with the Porsche G50-50 transaxle,
>> with a build up to about 500 HP.  This is more than enough for my 2200lb
>> target weight :)
>>
>> I figure 500 HP is more than enough (prolly overkill), and the Porsche unit
>> will survive.  A friend of mine runs more than that through it, however its
>> top RPM power, not off the line power (grunt) like the buick Engine.  I
>> have concerns about 1st gear actaully.    (You are 2.20  correct )
>
>Go for the stage II. You want to be able to accelerate from 100 to 150 like a
>CanAm car.  Most transmissions are limited by torque in low gear (& second) on
>the output side. Most families have different ratings based upon the low gear
>ratio. As long as you don't hook it hard ( and I don't think 2200 lbs will
>without tires, soft suspension and weight xfer (last two are bad for a road
>racer) will hook up), it will last for ever. if you are worried, just use a
>marginal clutch and replace it every year or so. (Or just keep your foot out of
>it in low).
>
>I use automatics and let them slip just a little in my 2400 lb street
>thrillers.

Hi--just another $.02:

Some aftermarket, turbo-oriented ecu's (Autronics comes to mind) are set up
so that one can limit boost to lower levels at lower vehicle speeds. Kinda
meant to save the tranny's lower gears automatically, despite a driver's
best efforts to the contrary, I expect.

No reason this sort of feature could not be programmed into our '332 units,
either. :-) (You're the programmer, Tom!!!0

The lighter the flywheel and crank, the better, too--for three reasons:
lighter overall weight, lower polar moment for quicker revving, and also
for lessening the rotating inertia behind impact loads on the drivetrain.
Balancing a crank with "Mallory Metal" (sintered osmium/tungsten) slugs can
be a huge help toward reducing the total weight of a crank.

Regards, Greg