AN Fittings

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Feb 4 23:24:54 GMT 1998

Just thought I share something I'd just written to a member.
While some think AN is just for looks, I from personal
experience will never run any thing but it for EFI.  Had
a engine fire some time ago, and thought it was just
oil burning off the headers.  Wrong, was a serious fire
from brake fluid on a header.  Drove several minutes
before returning home.  Well needless to say it was
going pretty good and really flashed when opening the
hood.  Had a big extingusher, and stopped it momentarily
and lots of water cooled it.  Pushed it in the garage to
figure out what happened, and assess the damage.
Wiring gone, some AL brackets were globs of melted
AL,  master cylinder distorted, resv gone, P/S hoses
charcoal.  AN lines were sooty,  that's all.  Cut some
up and removed the SS braiding and no damage,
to the inner hose.  With a 100 GPH pump, and
1/2" line it would have been a real disaster, as it
was, next to no damage.  Ask me my recommendation
if it AN it ain't.  BTW some of the fittings I've been
using have been in use for probably 15 years, and
I've worn the anadizing off some, but learn how to
do it right, and with practice ain't much harder to
work with.  Also NHRA only allows for 12" of
rubber fuel line unless OEM..
Bruce   Didn't ever mean to hurt a feeling with
            the mention that I wear cone shaped hats