Initial start up. with new EFI Initial Calibrations

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Feb 5 16:18:15 GMT 1998

By popular demand,
where do you start with a brand new EFI
again I'm GM ECM specific since I very limited
time with the others but this is how I would
start off.

It is much more perferable to do the initial running
with an existing engine.  Trying to break in a new
cam and do the initial diagnostics can lead to having
a really bad day.  If you have a new motor, and new
EFI, and none of it has been used together, ya might
strap a carb'd intake on with a dist, and necessary
fuel sytem to break in the cam, then switch over to
the EFI stuff.

Once your sure you have everthing right, stop, take
a break watch CNN or something to clear your head.
Disconnect the computer and make sure the obvious
work ie coolant temp sensor has resistance, TPS,
etc. make sure you have power at the proper term,
and finally grounds.  hot wire the fuel system for
leaks, and to make sure you have an decent psi
reading,  let it run for several minutes,  some leaks
take a few minutes to wick though.  Prime the oil
pump, with no plugs check to see if there is spark
and the things look to be timed about right.
  Double check the oil, and coolant.  Hint: drill
a 1/16" hole in the thermostat so any trapped air is
purged though the system without having to
wait for the thermostat to open, some thermostats
(most all) will not open/or open at the wrong temp
if there is a air bubble under them.
  Turn the key on and make sure the fuel pump
cycles.  Give justa tiny shoot of starting fluid.
Crank engine, and if everything is right it will
start.  If it does not start, don't keep cranking,
find out what is wrong.
The what to do if it don't star will be later,
HTH  Bruce    Rumor has it Martha Stewart
         may be planning a 6 hour special, on
         can you quess what??.. Cone Shaped
         Hats.  Topics may include fabric
         choose-colors that reflect your
         personality, and that make you look thin
         shapely etc.