electronic boost controllers

Tuck sldbrass at infi.net
Thu Feb 5 22:28:30 GMT 1998

At 08:24 AM 2/5/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Check the Subaru out.  They use a solenoid valve to control an
>diaghram actuator that controls the wasted gate.

Mazda's third generation RX-7 turbos use a similar boost control method,
but by far the most elegant solution I've seen is the stepper motor with a
seperate computer control that HKS sells.  It replacs the solenoid with a
stepper motor and an inc-cockpit electronics box controls the stepper
motor.  The thing uses (as I recall) a sort of fuzzy logic to learn to
modulate the wastegate to get peak boost as quickly as possible and then
keep boost high.  Peak boost can be adjusted via a knob on the control box,
and there are multiple settings so that you can put a low, medium, and high
boost program in.  Again this is all from memory as I haven't seen one of
these boxes in years and I know they have newer models.

Justin "Tuck" Cordesman
SOLID BRASS-> Let me know the way, before there's hell to pay.

"A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the
contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to
develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of
middle-aged habit and convention."

	-Aldous Huxley (1894–1963), British author. “Vulgarity in Literature”
	(1930; repr. in Music at Night and Other Essays, 1949).