WOT Tuning, ETs, Performance tuning, Performance

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Feb 5 22:36:48 GMT 1998

Again this is from my own personal experience, and
the example vehicle was the vehicle used in the
light cruise tuning.
DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION
Again GM ECM
Beginning with initial programming
set the WOT max. retard to like 10-14 degrees
set the decay rates slow.
Set the total timing amounts to say 30 degrees
Set WOT AFR to say 11.5
Hook up scan tool
Hook up LED O2 sensor display
Hook up some sorta performance analyzer

A few words about the last item, analyzing performance
ya have to come up with something self triggering,
and easy to use.
There are some nice 100-150 units out there, and they
don't have to be perfect, just reliable.
What I did was use the VSS and a Radio Shack Stop
Watch.
The VSS was tapped at the ECM and that was feed to a
LM339.
The stopwatch was taken apart an wires added for the
power supply and across the start and stop buttons.
the power wires went to a LED that was the on indicator
the LED voltage drop of 1.5 was enough to run the watch
even thou it had a 1.6v battery (use a 100mfd at the input)
the timer runs off a 7805 volt reg..
wire the on + off wires to a 4066.
Wire each side of a 556 to be a monostable on off pulse
for the 4066.
Going back to the 339 tie that to a divide by 10, set the
divide by 10 to six.  There are 3 pulses per tire revolution
So this will take two tire revolutions to start the timer,
which helps reduce false triggering from wheel spin
At the reset connection tie that to a second divide by 10
and use that to trigger the first of the 556 for the start
4066.  Wire the second divide by 10 to a third one,
so that you have a total of divide by 100, and that
will be the stop 4066/556 pulse so now you have
a timer that ignores the first 2 revolutions of the rear
tire, and the counts 200 revolutions to stop the
timer figure 6' rolling diam. ya have a 600' portable
drag strip in car that eliminates error do to wheel spin
(there is something wrong in the math, but paced out
was a little over 1/8 mile, hell it was 7 years ago)
jus reread it last divide by 10 may have been set at 8
Breadboard a 555 pulse generator, and run burn it
in, the watch should run to .001 ever time,
No I don't have a schematic, and it was a cobble
together but has been working for 7 years, and I
not cutting it up to reverse engineer it, til it fails
Oh I did something for a timer reset, and register clear
but I forget.  (Does it show I have no formal training?)..
  Now adj the F/P so that you can drive at WOT.
Watch the O2, as you drive (OK glance at it)
When yo hear the watch beep the pass it over
Look at the knock counts.
   If plenty rich (all ten LEDs Lit), and no knock
   counts adv all timing step 2 degress lean to
   11.7
Repeat driving test.
  Plenty of LED, and no knock leaner, and
  more timing  11.9 2d more timing
Somewhere now you'll start either slowing down, or
  tripping the knock sensor.  Usually the knock
  starts triggering between 2000-2600 rpm.
The WOT AFR can be anywhere depending on
   your injector sizing, and PSI.  Remember this
  is a ecm calculation and has nothing to do with
  reality.
During all of this do some plug cuts, and learn how
to read em (by demand I'll do a little ditty)
If you changed F/P then yes you'll have to tiddy
up the fuel VE at part thottle and do some back
and forth.
  NO, I DID NOT HAVE TO BURN 400 CHIPS
to get it right, I burnt 400 to get it PERFECT.
I'll bet 98% of the world would never notice the
difference in the last 100+, and the first couple
100 was figuring out how to do the above.
HTH  Bruce   FAA was going to issue a warning
          about wearing cone shaped hats during
          take-offs and landings but the French
          Embassy, and Dan Akroyd protested
          (the above was from rumor control)
PS  When doing the above settle for the least
amount of timing consistent with the best
performance  tring to run the max timing and
you'll be hitting the knock sensor and have
varing ETs.   you may have to disable
knock sensor diagnostics cause the car is
so happy with yesterdays tuning, and todays
that the ECM using the OEM specs can't run
the diag, and get ping  (Mine is that way)