How do ya get the code?

Bill Jenkins muwtj1 at uxa.ecn.bgu.edu
Fri Feb 6 16:59:48 GMT 1998

>Hey gang,
>
> My friend is having "CHECK ENGINE" light blues on a 94 GrandAmm.
>The Diacom doesn't work with the 94 & newer OBD stuff.
>
>Can someone tell me how to get, and interperate the
> error code that is stored?  If it means sending me to a website
>somewhere, that's okay.  I know you can get it to blink the
>check engine light, and count the flashes, then look the up the
>code, yada...
>
>Not sure how to do it on a vehicle that is this new.
>TIA
>Mike V.

   The 1994 and newer GM engines have a different computer (GM Coded "GMP99"
I think) that still has the old-style ALDL port (non-OBDII until 1996) but
has the A and B code-getter disabled.  The only thing you can do is get a
scan-tool.  Sticking a paper clip or anything in there won't do a thing.

Bill Jenkins
muwtj1 at wiu.edu
http://www.wiu.edu/users/muwtj1
The Chevrolet Beretta Home Page