Electronic valve control

BUTLER, Tom TEBUTLER at mccain.ca
Mon Feb 9 16:05:11 GMT 1998

	The problem here is that you need the engine running in the
first place in order to have hydrualic pressure or pneumatic pressure to
actuate the valves.  You have a chicken and egg problem.  While it is
possible to have some sort of reservoir to hold pressure, you still have
to worry about pressure leak-down.  Even if your seals are perfect, what
about a hard starting situation?  How much reserve capacity must you
have?  Some arrangement might be made to pump up pressure in an engine
non-start situation, but compexity is going way up.  Solenoid actuation
seems to me to be the only viable avenue of pursuit.  I don't dislike
cam shafts enough to want to cause myself that much brain damage
however.

	Tom Butler  TEBUTLER at MCCAIN.CA