Tuning Tools, VE LV8 Maps Tables

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Feb 9 17:05:56 GMT 1998

Class--CLASS, that's better, now.. Yesterday we left off with a
bunch about what to do, and today we'll continue with how
to do it.  (WOT wide open throttle, DVM Digitial Volt Meter
AFR air fuel ratio FP fuel pressure VE LV8 mixture TPS
throttle posistion sensor TCC torque converter clutch)
    What ever your going to do save your original data!!..
STOCK ENGINES, wanna tinker-get your feet wet.
  It can be as simple as you like or really complicated.
For tools, all you need is a vacum guage, a tack, and a
DVM..  With these 3 items you'll know where your at, in
the tables.
  To get involved all you need is the locations of the WOT
enrichments, or the VE tables (TBI), or LV8 (TPI).
  With the WOT enrichment/APR then you can tune the
FP til the cruise feels right, and then richin WOT, if that
doesn't work try leaning things down.  Always remember
too rich, and you buy spark plugs, to lean and it headgaskets
exhaust vales, rings etc............
  Or tune the WOT, experimenting with the tables to even
things out.
  Tuning cruise is just watching the DVM for the lowest TPS.

Mild Performance Engines, engine swaps
  Now things take a step up, tools are still the same, but
now it would be nice to have a scan tool, With probably
a different cam the operating range of the sweet spot of
the engine has changed, or the weight of the vehicle
has.  This weight thing is not to be taken lightly (HOHO
HAHA), just had to sneek a little humor in.  A light car
and/or one with higher numerically final drive gears will
want alot more fuel earlier, or more timing taken out
sooner.  So now you'll have to have some control of
the timing.  But still if you're using a distributor, you
can get by with just timing at cruise or WOT.
  If it's a mild cam (and if your doing this for the first
time I would highly suggest you stay conserative).
  Now use your scan tool and look for the magic
128,  try adding/subtracting  2-4d here and there
do the 4d to get a feel for things, and do not use
any WOT testing when going 4 at a time.
  On the Fuel tables changing things by 10%
should make a noticeable difference.   Again
move just a couple at a time, til you get a
feel for things.
  If you've only been driving high performance cars
for a couple 100K miles, it might take some getting
used to for what makes a change.
  If you've got a ton of time behind the wheel, and
alot of SCCA time, you might have a better sense
of things, either way take your time..
  Again rich you buy spark plugs, lean it's internal
engine parts.....
  For Spark not enough timing, and you foul spark
plugs, too much advance it's internal engine parts.
(too long too retarded overheating)

Real Fire Breathing Hot Rods
  Things that go lump, lump, rump, rump at idle, non
lock up converters, spin tires in any gear less than
overdive.
  Now ya gotta have all the tools.
Main fuel table  WOT enrichments
Main Spark table WOT spark adders
TPS Enrichments (sensitivity duration quantity)
Enable WOT TPS % settings
Cooling fan operation
Idle speed
  Ok higher compression, no big shakes
Small chamber/AL Heads generally make a
difference, for either less total timing, at WOT
  Al Heads more timing during light throttle cruise
Non-Lockup converter, more initial enrichment
  (less drivetrain interia)
There are several other reasons for the non
lockup, being you'll start needing more fuel
earlier ya gotta lower the % TPS WOT enable.
This will beat the dodo out the TCC linings..
(I bought 4, before I figured this out), and
the linings ruined the tranny internals causing
2 overhauls.  Now I'll be the first to admit to
being hard on things, (I'm a severe duty
application).
  Once ya get to this stage, ya have ta have the
scanner, DVM, vacum guage, full time fuel pressure
guage (AND ISOLATOR), and 10 led AFR Display
(full time), wouldn't hurt to have a audible knock
detector
  This engine will be able to do your basic China
Syndrome Routine!!!!!!!!!, and it don't take long
at WOT..
  At this level they require constant attention, to
prevent damage.  With EFI, and knock protection
usually there is protection from things going wrong.
But when things go wrong ya can't forcast
what the problem will be.
  Also at this level you might consider running a
fuel seperator, which is basically a large tank for the
sediment to seperate in.  So there is no pressure
drop due to a restricted fuel filter.
  The 10 LED AFR Display, and Knock detector
schematics are at the GN Ttype tech area.
  HTH  Bruce      WARNING there are some folks
                          who wear pointy hats and ride
                          brooms they are NOT to be
                          Cone Shaped Hat Wearers.........
But, Officer.......