Looking for Windows C++ Guru for h*elp

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Mon Feb 9 17:43:06 GMT 1998

Well, I'm not an OWL user so it would be hard to say. I guess it depends on
your app. MFC is very difficult to work with, it is the Object Oriented
version of the Windows SDK. Lots of ugly messy code. Lots of wizards to
create templates for code. C++Builder has a very nice component library and
framework. You can actually hand code an application if so desired, that
is, the framework is not obtrusive like in MFC. If you can, check out
C++Builder v3. It supports OWL and MFC frameworks, but it does its own the
best. Their are some tools to help migrate resources into 'dfm' files that
the tool can use as forms in a project. The issue of migration is not going
to be easy in any case. The big problem, again, is that OWL is not
Borland's framework of choice. In addition, the Borland C++ 5.02
development suite is being phased out, and those purchasers of C++Builder
will get a coupon (Pro and C/S version) to get it for free. So the writing
is on the wall, OWL is not going to be supported as well as the VCL.

Not much help with the porting issue, other then it is not going to be very
easy. One thing, some of the experience in creating OWL was used for the
VCL, but again it is not that close from what I can remember.

Sandy